- Hardiness Zone: 4-8
- Mature Height: 10-12' tall
- Mature Width: 10-12' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Spacing: 10-12' apart
SHINY, RED, SOUR TASTING CHERRIES ON A SEMI DWARF TREE
- Dark green foliage cover each branching system in late spring as fruits begin to form
- Sour cherries ripen in mid-summer while a gorgeous white bloom takes place
- Grown on a semi-dwarf rootstock
- As self-fertile cherry variety it can produce fruits being planted alone, although its harvest will be much more abundant planted in pairs or with a compatible cherry variety
- A great cherry option for preservation and tart desserts
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
Why the USDA Organic North Star Sour Cherry?
The North Star Cherry Tree never has an off season. This naturally petite Cherry Tree will beautify your landscape with snow-white Cherry blossoms in spring, orange foliage in autumn, and showy reddish brown bark on its bare limbs in winter. But it’s in summer when this little dynamo truly shines, providing you and your family with more juicy, dark red, tart cherries than you would think possible from its small frame. They can be eaten fresh if you like your fruits with a kick, but they’re better in pies and preserves. Unlike some other sour cherries, North Star cherries aren’t yellow on the inside, but are deep red all the way through, so the treats you make with them will look as delectable as they taste!
Introduced in 1950 by the University of Minnesota as part of its fruit tree breeding program, the North Star Cherry Tree has been a bestseller since its debut because of its adaptability and its superior qualities. Born and bred in Minnesota, you know it’s cold hardy—growers in harsh climates know they can depend on this one. It’s also valued for being a heavy producer, even at a young age. Another plus is that North Star is self-fertile. Some Cherries won’t produce fruit without another variety nearby for cross-pollination, but North Star can pollinate itself, so you only need one tree in order to get fruit. It’s no wonder this fantastic Cherry Tree has stood the test of time!
How to use in the landscape?
Cherries aren’t just healthy fruits—they’re superfruits! Loaded with vitamin C and serving up vitamin A, potassium, copper, manganese, fiber, and antioxidants as well, they have been found to be helpful in the fight against and the prevention of a wide array of diseases from high cholesterol to cancer. A study with the juice from sour cherries (like North Star) also found the fruit to be a good anti-inflammatory that eased muscle soreness after subjects worked out. In that study, subjects discovered that they even slept better after drinking sour cherry juice, because it contains natural melatonin!
Why Bower & Branch?
At Bower & Branch, it’s our job to know and grow trees… especially big trees.
- Trusted, Experienced Growers
- Trusted, Knowledgeable Expertise
- Trusted Brand of Quality Trees Across the United States
We do the hard part. Our trees and plants are grown and cared for by only the best, local growers for years before they find their forever home in your landscape. Bower & Branch is known for having hard-to-find, substantial sizes and selection. The quality of our trees and plants are consistent in health and vigor—always ready for immediate impact in your garden and instant curb appeal. We never rush our trees to reach a ‘grade size.’ Our trees are grown for quality height, vigor, health and age.
We believe in empowering homeowners with the truth about strong, healthy and structurally sound plants that are grown to perform in the ground after they leave the nursery for home delivery, always fresh inventory from the grower.
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
How To Plant
Cold hardy, fast growing, self-fertile, early bearing, and reliably producing heavy crops, the North Star Mini Cherry Tree makes a terrific choice for the first time fruit tree grower. It will do best in areas that don’t experience extremely hot and humid summers but is otherwise adaptable. Plant this tree in a sunny, open space away from low spots where late frosts could settle and zap the spring blossoms. The soil should be well drained, as Cherries don’t like “wet feet”; however, regular water is important during the establishment period and during times of drought. You may have to cover your tree with bird netting when the fruits begin to ripen if you don’t want to share your bounty with wildlife.
How To Water
Water deeply, and regularly during its first few years in the ground. Irrigate weekly, and especially during prolonged dry spells or extreme heat after it’s established. It is essential to water your cherry tree 2-3 times a week, applying the water slowly to go deeper to the root system.
How To Fertilize
Incorporate Elements Starter Plant food granular form into the soil when planting. If planting in spring or summer, start fertilizing late fall using Elements Starter Plant food granular form on an annual basis each late fall. Continue this for the first three years to get your plant well established.
How To Prune
For shape training and maintaining a great yield of fruit, prune regularly in early to mid spring. Once well trained, prune after the fruiting season.
Hardiness Zone: 4-8
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our large trees require expert delivery and care, that means our large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to your driveway or curbside! Ask Bower & Branch about planting services and rates – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL (A) and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to be delivered. - Sizes Large (AA) and smaller (Treelings, Shrubs, Bushes, and Perennials) will be shipped directly to your home by a local common carrier in a plant-safe box.
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).