ELEGANT AND VIBRANT BLOOMS MAKE THIS THE MOST POPULAR REDBUD TREE
- Vibrant pinkish-purple blooms arrive in mid-April before the appearance of heart shaped, deep-green foliage
- Foliage will transition to a yellow tinted red in the fall season
- Pollinator friendly as it attracts songbirds, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, butterflies, bees, and other wildlife
- A cold hardy and low-maintenance tree
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Mature Height: 20-25' tall
- Mature Width: 20-30' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Spacing: 20-30' apart
Why plant USDA Organic Eastern Redbud?
The Eastern Redbud is the small, rounded tree you see lighting up forest edges each spring with bright splashes of lavender-pink. It is eye-catching at 55 mph, but if you grow this lovely native ornamental tree at home, you'll also be able to appreciate up-close how the flowers hug the zig-zag stems tightly -- and sometimes sprout directly from the trunk! You'll be able to reach up and grab a few of the colorful, edible blossoms from your Eastern Redbud tree for your salad, too. They look like miniature hummingbirds! Redbud trees make fine stand-alone specimens in the home landscape, and are even better in groupings or groves.
The Eastern Redbud became the state tree of Oklahoma amid much controversy. Just before signing it into law, the governor received a telegram from the president of the National Woman's club asking him to reconsider. In her letter, she informed him that the Eastern Redbud was the same tree mentioned in the bible that Judas Iscariot hanged himself on after betraying Jesus. Legend has it that this is why the branches are weak, so no one could ever hang themselves on it again. This led to national news reports, which stalled the process until an Israeli native living in Oklahoma stepped forward. He claimed that the Mediterranean species, known as the "Judas Tree", had no connection to the Eastern variety. The tree was accepted as the state's tree in 1937.
How to use USDA Organic Eastern Redbud in the landscape?
This delightful native tree is sure to bring a smile to your face! Bright purplish-pink pea-like flowers cover branches in April before leaves appear. The heart-shaped leaves on Eastern Redbuds are deep green through summer, turning yellow in fall. A perfect addition to a woodland setting, a nice component for your very own naturalizing project or just a beautiful tree for your beautiful garden - no matter where you use it, you're gonna love it!
USDA Certified Organic Grown Trees
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
Hardiness Zone: 4-9
How To Plant USDA Organic Eastern Redbud
Eastern Redbuds are beautiful woodland-like trees and they are incredibly easy to grow. This is the only tree that flowers on their bark. This means that the vibrant pinkish-purple blooms will appear on their trunk as well as on their branches. They bloom in April and their floral display is like no other flowering tree! In some instances of extreme winters they will get tip dieback. Do not get discouraged! Just be patient -- the tree will bloom and leaves will appear in May. Eastern Redbuds will do well in slightly shaded areas. Eastern Redbuds have no major insect or disease problems -- and that's always a plus!
How To Water
They require keeping the soil moist (not too wet) after initial planting. Once established, they are more tolerant of drought conditions, reducing your hand-watering responsibilities.
How To Fertilize
Redbuds like fertilizer! During fall, feed your Redbud Bower & Branch Elements Fertilizer once a year for about the first 3 or 4 years - this will give your tree all the nutrients it needs.
How To Prune
Redbuds occasionally sprout "suckers" around the base of the tree, as they appear be sure to prune them off. But when it comes to pruning the branches of your Redbud -- don't be afraid! They are so easy to prune -- prune to whatever shape you like. If you don't want to touch it -- that's fine. If you want to cut everything off except two branches that look like rabbit ears, that's fine too (although you might get some weird looks from the neighbors -- and your family).
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our big trees, sizes XL and bigger, require expert delivery and care, that means our extra-large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to you. Ask Bower & Branch about planting services – we'd be happy to assist in installation..
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered.
Your trees and plants are grown across the United States at various Bower & Branch Gowers. Depending on your location, your plant orders may be shipped from various locations.
Please expect orders with multiple items to be delivered over a number of days as a result. Orders made up of numerous items or selections will not arrive at your home on the same day.
From time to time, Bower & Branch Growers may determine to delay order shipment based on various factors for plant health.
Weather in your region, as well as, where your plants are grown, is always considered when shipping. Extreme weather conditions may delay some or all of your order.
Bower & Branch allows our Growers to make final shipping decisions based solely to benefit your trees and plants’ health and success.
Bower & Branch Plant Whisperers - Online Customer Service
The Bower & Branch customer service team WILL surprise you with experience. The Plant Whisperer Team is available to all of our customers for all reasons: shipping updates, special requests, plant care, design, placement, selection and all your other gardening needs!
Our Service Team is directly connected to the best growers (ours!) across the country and have access to more plant experience and knowledge than any other retailer out there; online or in your neighborhood. Chat with a Plant Whisperer today!
PlantWhisperers@bowerandbranch.com | (866) 873-3888 | Chat below!
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).