A FAST-GROWING NATIVE SHADE TREE THAT WILL BE ADORED BY YOU AND THE BIRDS
- Tall and majestic tree with an arching canopy
- Dark green leaves transition into a radiant yellow color in the fall
- Long-living and extremely sturdy, disease resistant, and cold hardy
- Hand selected fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Mature Height: 60-70' tall
- Mature Width: 40-50' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Spacing: 40-50' apart
Why plant USDA Organic Princeton American Elm?
Princeton Elm brings us back to the days when gas was 17 cents a gallon and streets were shaded by the arching canopies of magnificent American Elm trees. Though Dutch Elm Disease brought down many of those noble old trees, a few proved to be resistant, and Princeton Elm is one. This fast-growing all-American classic can line your street in style once more, or you can plant it in the backyard to shade a picnic table, horseshoe pit, badminton net, or hammock, and you and your family can rediscover together those simple pleasures of days gone by.
The Princeton Nursery was founded in Kingston New Jersey by William Flemer Sr. in 1913. After years of searching for a new site to grow his business, Flemer chose Kingston for its nutrient rich soil and location which was halfway between New York and Philadelphia. Flemer continued to buy land and property to provide housing for his many employees. At its peak the nursery grew to 1200 acres and was the largest commercial nursery in the United States. Through the Great Depression the nursery survived by growing farm crops and using German prisoners of war for labor. William Flemer III, specialized in breeding and introduced many new varieties of shade and ornamental trees. The nursery was granted dozens of patents including the disease resistant Princeton Elm. The nursery closed in 2010 but more than 240 acres of the nursery have been preserved along with 25 historic structures. Here you can still find many of the beautiful trees introduced and planted by the Flemer family.
How to use USDA Organic Princeton American Elm in the landscape?
Now if the folks at Princeton were smart (and I'm assuming they are) they would have tons of these Elms planted all over the campus. Princeton American Elm is the ultimate in shade trees! This fast-growing, iconic tree has an upright, vase-shape with great resistance to Dutch Elm disease. Dark green leathery foliage changes to yellow in fall. An excellent street or lawn tree.
USDA Certified Organic Grown Trees
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
Hardiness Zone: 3-9
How To Plant USDA Organic Princeton American Elm
Princeton Elm is an easily transplanted, fast growing tree that will get right to work building a majestic, arching canopy. In full sun is where it wants to be. Princeton is tolerant of occasional flooding and can cope with salty soils, although trees such as this that have a troublesome enemy to contend with should be given the best site and the best care possible. They need to be strong and healthy enough to fight off attacks. Though it is resistant to Dutch Elm Disease, Princeton is not completely immune.
How To Water
They require keeping the soil moist (not too wet) after initial planting. Once established, they are more tolerant of drought conditions, reducing your hand-watering responsibilities.
How To Fertilize
For the first 3 years or so, give your Elm Bower & Branch Elements Fertilizer, preferably once in the fall. This helps your tree produce healthy new growth for the following growing season.
How To Prune
Princeton American Elm does not require pruning!
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our big trees, sizes XL and bigger, require expert delivery and care, that means our extra-large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to you. Ask Bower & Branch about planting services – we'd be happy to assist in installation..
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered.
Your trees and plants are grown across the United States at various Bower & Branch Gowers. Depending on your location, your plant orders may be shipped from various locations.
Please expect orders with multiple items to be delivered over a number of days as a result. Orders made up of numerous items or selections will not arrive at your home on the same day.
From time to time, Bower & Branch Growers may determine to delay order shipment based on various factors for plant health.
Weather in your region, as well as, where your plants are grown, is always considered when shipping. Extreme weather conditions may delay some or all of your order.
Bower & Branch allows our Growers to make final shipping decisions based solely to benefit your trees and plants’ health and success.
Bower & Branch Plant Whisperers - Online Customer Service
The Bower & Branch customer service team WILL surprise you with experience. The Plant Whisperer Team is available to all of our customers for all reasons: shipping updates, special requests, plant care, design, placement, selection and all your other gardening needs!
Our Service Team is directly connected to the best growers (ours!) across the country and have access to more plant experience and knowledge than any other retailer out there; online or in your neighborhood. Chat with a Plant Whisperer today!
PlantWhisperers@bowerandbranch.com | (866) 873-3888 | Chat below!
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).