GORGEOUS, SHAGGY PEACH COLORED BARK WITH VIBRANT BURGUNDY FOLIAGE
- Beautifully exfoliating peaches-and-cream colored bark provides four season interest
- Green summer leaves turn a bright yellow in fall
- This fast growing tree fills space quickly to produce an almost immediate impact
- The Heritage River Birch will thrive in wet soil and standing water for weeks at a time
- Plant the Heritage River Birch in groves to truly appreciate the wow factor of the peeling bark
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Mature Height: 40-50' tall
- Mature Width: 25-30' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Spacing: 25-30' apart
Why plant USDA Organic Heritage® River Birch?
Birch trees are renowned for their beautiful bark, and Heritage® River Birch is no exception. All year long, its shaggy, peaches-and-cream-colored bark will be a standout in your landscape. Planting this fast-growing tree at one or more corners of your home is a classic way to frame your house and soften its edges. Landscape lighting adds extra drama at night. Have a low spot in your yard that stays soggy? Don’t go through all the effort of digging a French drain—plant a River Birch tree instead! This adaptable tree will happily soak up the extra moisture, though it doesn’t require wet soil to thrive.
Earl Cully, a nurseryman from Jacksonville, Illinois noticed an unusual cultivar of birch growing at a residence in St. Louis, Missouri. He made two more trips to St. Louis before he asked the homeowner if he could take some cuttings of the tree. Because of the lovely white peeling bark, he thought it was a hybrid of Paper bark Birch and River Birch. After years of study they concluded that the tree he discovered was an unknown cultivar of the native river birch and he was awarded the patent in 1979.
How to use USDA Organic Heritage® River Birch in the landscape?
You'll be crying a river when you see this beautiful Birch! The creamy white bark starts to peel at a young age, exposing shades of salmon and brown, which darken as the tree matures. This fast-growing selection of the native River Birch displays glossy green leaves throughout summer that turn to golden yellow in fall. They are best grown as multi-stemmed trees and are suitable for areas prone to being wet a good part of the year. Winner of the Gold Medal Plant Award from the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, chosen for its outstanding performance, hardiness and eye-appeal.
USDA Certified Organic Grown Trees
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
Hardiness Zones: 4-9
How To Plant USDA Organic Heritage® River Birch
Want a specimen tree that will make a show in a hurry? Depending upon how hot your summers are and how much water and fertilizer you provide, your Heritage® River Birch can put on two to three feet of growth per year! Unlike many other birches, River Birch loves hot weather, and the more heat it gets, the faster it will grow. And when the temperature swings the other way—to -25°F in winter—it doesn’t miss a beat. A little rock salt thrown its way won’t bother it, either.
How To Water
Water - Water - Water! It's tough to over water a River Birch, especially when freshly planted. Your River Birch will appreciate regular water during its first few years in the ground (especially during the summer heat!) and irrigation during long dry spells after it’s established.
How To Fertilize
Incorporate Elements Starter Plant food granular form into the soil when planting. If planting in spring or summer, start fertilizing late fall using Elements Starter Plant food granular form on an annual basis each late fall. Continue this for the first three years to get your plant well established.
How To Prune
Prune in summer if necessary, as Birches tend to “bleed” sap profusely when cut at other times of the year.
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our big trees, sizes XL and bigger, require expert delivery and care, that means our extra-large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to you. Ask Bower & Branch about planting services – we'd be happy to assist in installation..
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered.
Your trees and plants are grown across the United States at various Bower & Branch Gowers. Depending on your location, your plant orders may be shipped from various locations.
Please expect orders with multiple items to be delivered over a number of days as a result. Orders made up of numerous items or selections will not arrive at your home on the same day.
From time to time, Bower & Branch Growers may determine to delay order shipment based on various factors for plant health.
Weather in your region, as well as, where your plants are grown, is always considered when shipping. Extreme weather conditions may delay some or all of your order.
Bower & Branch allows our Growers to make final shipping decisions based solely to benefit your trees and plants’ health and success.
Bower & Branch Plant Whisperers - Online Customer Service
The Bower & Branch customer service team WILL surprise you with experience. The Plant Whisperer Team is available to all of our customers for all reasons: shipping updates, special requests, plant care, design, placement, selection and all your other gardening needs!
Our Service Team is directly connected to the best growers (ours!) across the country and have access to more plant experience and knowledge than any other retailer out there; online or in your neighborhood. Chat with a Plant Whisperer today!
PlantWhisperers@bowerandbranch.com | (866) 873-3888 | Chat below!
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).