SWEET RED APPLES, DELICIOUS AND ORGANICALLY GROWN
- Dark green foliage sits behind glossy red fruits
- Apples ripen in late October, with a tough red skin and a sweet flavor inside
- Plant with a USDA Organic Freedom Apple for an abundant production of fruit
- Grown on a semi-dwarf rootstock, leaving the mature height a very cute and manageable size
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Mature Height: 12-15' tall
- Mature Width: 12-15' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Spacing: 12-15' apart
Why plant USDA Organic Liberty Apple?
The Liberty Apple Tree may not be well known, but when planning the backyard orchard, smart homeowners who do their research give this one top billing. Bred to be naturally resistant to many of the diseases that affect other Apple Trees, it’s a no-brainer for those who wish to garden organically and not spray toxic chemicals on food their family is going to eat. Oh, and the flavor? This is one satisfying apple! Liberty is a juicy, aromatic, tangy apple with vinous (wine-like) undertones. It’s delectable right off the tree when picked at the peak of ripeness, and it also makes a delightful pink-tinted applesauce when you leave in some of the rich red peels.
The Liberty Apple Tree was not a chance seedling, but the result of a carefully orchestrated marriage of trees with specific traits. In 1955, plant breeders at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva chose ‘Macoun’ to be the mother of the new Apple Tree. Macoun is another release from the Geneva research station that scores sky-high on flavor but low on disease resistance. To boost Liberty’s immunity to diseases, it was sired by a relative of Malus floribunda, the robust Japanese Flowering Crabapple. The Liberty Apple Tree isn’t immune to all of the pests and diseases that afflict Apples, but it is far more resistant than most.
How to use USDA Organic Liberty Apple in the landscape?
Liberty is the perfect Apple Tree for the beginning fruit tree grower. Besides being disease resistant, it naturally develops a strong, sturdy branching habit, it fruits at a young age, and it sets heavy crops annually (some Apple Trees have better crops every other year). In fact, you may need to thin the fruits during the first few years, so the branches can support a hefty crop of apples.
USDA Certified Organic Grown Trees
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
Hardiness Zone: 4-7
How To Plant USDA Organic Liberty Apple
Apple Trees prefer good garden soil but will grow in clay provided drainage is good. Choose a site in full sun where air circulates freely. Avoid low spots where late frosts can strike in spring and damage the blossoms; this is especially important with Liberty, because it is an early-flowering variety. You will need another early- to mid-season-blooming Apple or Crabapple Tree nearby to pollinate Liberty’s flowers and ensure good fruit set. There are many potential pollinators to choose from, such as Braeburn Apple or Royal Raindrops® Crabapple.
How To Water
Water deeply, and regularly during its first few years in the ground. Irrigate weekly, and especially during prolonged dry spells or extreme heat after it’s established. It is essential to water your apple tree 2-3 times a week, applying the water slowly to go deeper to the root system.
How To Fertilize
Incorporate Elements Starter Plant Food granular form into the soil when planting. If planting in spring or summer, start fertilizing late fall using Elements Starter Plant Food granular form on an annual basis each fall. Continue this for the first three years to get your plant well established.
How To Prune
Pruning in the first year of establishment may be beneficial to fruit production in the second season, although it isn't necessary!
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our large trees require expert delivery and care, that means our large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to your driveway or curbside! Ask Bower & Branch about planting services and rates – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL (A) and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to be delivered. - Sizes Large (AA) and smaller (Treelings, Shrubs, Bushes, and Perennials) will be shipped directly to your home by a local common carrier in a plant-safe box.
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).