BRIGHT RED, SOUR TASTING FRUITS SIT ON GLOSSY GREEN FOLIAGE
- Glossy green foliage arrives in late spring as fruits begin to form
- Bright red, sour cherries ripen in June alongside beautiful white blooms
- Grown on a semi-dwarf rootstock
- As self-fertile cherry variety, it can produce fruits being planted alone, although its harvest will be much more abundant planted in pairs or with a compatible cherry variety
- Perfect for pies, or to can and preserve
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 4-7
- Mature Height: 10-12' tall
- Mature Width: 10-12' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Spacing: 10-12' apart
Why plant USDA Organic Montmorency Sour Cherry?
This tart cherry is absolutely delicious in pies and jams. Its fruit, which ripens in June, is bright red with yellow flesh, and it stays bright red when dried or frozen. You can also expect beautiful white flowers during the summer months!
The Montmorency Sour Cherry achieved its name by the location it was developed, in the Montmorency Valley in France. Cultivated in the late 17th century, this sour cherry variety continues to be the most popular sour cherry in the world, accounting for more than 95% if all sour cherry production.
How to use USDA Organic Montmorency Sour Cherry in the landscape?
As a self-fertile cherry tree, this can produce fruit even if it's planted alone - although, if you want the best bang for your buck, we always recommend planting two! You may see some fruit on your stand alone Montmorency, but a Montmorency planted with a partner will produce a magnificent harvest of sour tasting fruits! Better yet, it also has the most gorgeous bloom! Plant for fruit, or plant for beauty! No matter where this gorgeous tree ends up in your landscape, you and the birds will be happy!
USDA Certified Organic Grown Trees
Tread lightly, shrink your footprint, and let yourself grow with USDA Certified Organic Trees. Organic farming has sprung up drastically in importance and influence, spreading worldwide the philosophy of deeply rooting nature in harmony and enriching the soil we stand upon. Benefitting the gardener, enhancing biodiversity, preserving nature's wildlife, and a true direction to protecting our environment. Choosing organic trees on your property, whether they are fruit, nut, ornamental, or shade trees, begins with their soil and cultivates change taking root in your backyard. Take one BIG TREE step for your garden, and one giant leap towards a greener world.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
Hardiness Zone: 4-7
How To Plant USDA Organic Montmorency Sour Cherry
As a relatively easy tree to grow, the Montmorency will do best in a full sun location and with well draining soil, but don't forget how widely adaptable it truly is! In the first season you may not see a large fruit production, although planting with a pair and giving it time to establish will ensure that you see a great harvest in the next summer season! If you'd like to keep those sour fruits away from birds, aphids, caterpillars, slug worms, and many more critters, we absolutely recommend getting yours on a regular spray schedule!
How To Water
Water the Montmorency Sour Cherry regularly at least for the first growing season so that roots can become established.
How To Fertilize
Cherry tree are light feeders, so try not to over fertilize. Feed in the spring with our Elements Starter Plant Food in granular form.
How To Prune
For shape training and maintaining a great yield of fruit, prune regularly in early to mid spring. Once well trained, prune after the fruiting season.
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our large trees require expert delivery and care, that means our large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to your driveway or curbside! Ask Bower & Branch about planting services and rates – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL (A) and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to be delivered. - Sizes Large (AA) and smaller (Treelings, Shrubs, Bushes, and Perennials) will be shipped directly to your home by a local common carrier in a plant-safe box.
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).