BRIGHT GREEN APPLES PROVIDE STUNNING FALL INTEREST
- Blooms appear white popping from buds of bright pink in spring
- Appearing lush green in spring and summer, come fall shades of yellow will grace any landscape until dormancy
- Bright large green apples appear following the blooms of spring, they ripen in fall and are perfect used in pies or made into a sauce
- Pollinators will enjoy the beautiful blooms, while birds will happily feast on what remains, even people find joy in consuming the fruits provided by the Granny Smith Apple
- Planted to add interest in any property for its spring blooms and fall harvest, you may also plant a Granny Smith to start your very own home orchard
- While capable of producing fruits on its own for a better harvest try planting a Macoun, Fuji, or Cox's Orange Pippin within close proximity of your Granny Smith Apple
- Hand selected fresh from our grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Mature Height: 12-15' tall
- Mature Width: 12-15' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun
- Spacing: 12-15' apart
Why plant Granny Smith Apple?
The refreshing tartness of a crisp Granny Smith apple from your own tree will add zing to your fall salads and make for bold and lively snacking out of hand. Of course, this classic cooking apple’s pucker power can be tamed with sugar—Granny Smith bakes up into mouth-watering pies, tarts, and turnovers. If you happen to live in an area with a very long growing season, you may even get the chance to taste a Granny Smith apple that has sweetened naturally (something you would never experience with store-bought apples). Given enough frost-free days, the fruit will begin to turn yellow, and the flavor will mellow.
How to use Granny Smith Apple in the landscape?
We all know an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but scientists tell us that Granny Smith apples are especially good for us because they’re particularly high in cancer-fighting antioxidants. They’re also a good source of fiber and low in calories, so you can snack all you want on these all-natural treats without any guilt.
Hardiness Zone: 5-9
How To Plant Granny Smith Apple
The Granny Smith Apple Tree can be grown in the home orchard with a bit of know-how. This is an Apple Tree that’s best in regions with long, warm growing seasons. It flowers in mid-season, but the fruits ripen very late. Granny Smith is partially self-fertile, which means that it will set fruit without any other Apple Trees around, but another Apple or Crabapple in the vicinity will greatly improve the harvest. Like all Apple Trees, you’ll want to site it in an area with good air circulation and all-day sun. Granny Smith is susceptible to fire blight and powdery mildew.
How To Water
Water deeply, and regularly during its first few years in the ground. Irrigate weekly, and especially during prolonged dry spells or extreme heat after it’s established. It is essential to water your apple tree 2-3 times a week, applying the water slowly to go deeper to the root system.
How To Fertilize
Incorporate Elements Starter Plant food granular form into the soil when planting. If planting in spring or summer, start fertilizing late fall using Elements Starter Plant food granular form on an annual basis each late fall. Continue this for the first three years to get your plant well established.
How To Prune
Always promptly remove and destroy any diseased branches, leaves, or fruit from your Apple tree and around the base. Leaving those in place could cause reinfection the following year.
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our big trees, sizes XL and bigger, require expert delivery and care, that means our extra-large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to you. Ask Bower & Branch about planting services – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered.
Your trees and plants are grown across the United States at various Bower & Branch Growers. Depending on your location, your plant orders may be shipped from various locations.
Please expect orders with multiple items to be delivered over a number of days as a result. Orders made up of numerous items or selections will not arrive at your home on the same day.
From time to time, Bower & Branch Growers may determine to delay order shipment based on various factors for plant health.
Weather in your region, as well as, where your plants are grown, is always considered when shipping. Extreme weather conditions may delay some or all of your order.
Bower & Branch allows our Growers to make final shipping decisions based solely to benefit your trees and plants’ health and success.
Bower & Branch Plant Whisperers - Online Customer Service
The Bower & Branch customer service team WILL surprise you with experience. The Plant Whisperer Team is available to all of our customers for all reasons: shipping updates, special requests, plant care, design, placement, selection and all your other gardening needs!
Our Service Team is directly connected to the best growers (ours!) across the country and have access to more plant experience and knowledge than any other retailer out there; online or in your neighborhood. Chat with a Plant Whisperer today!
PlantWhisperers@bowerandbranch.com | (866) 873-3888 | Chat below!
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).