PRIZED FALL COLOR IN THIS STURDY FAST GROWING SHADE TREE
May Benefit & Attract: Jays, crows, turkeys, woodpeckers, ducks, quail, and songbirds
- Fast-growing shade tree providing home to many wildlife
- Acorns provide food to many species of wildlife
- Magnificent fall coloring gives this Oak a sophisticated look
- This bird-friendly native plant provides food and shelter for local and migrating birds and other wildlife
- All Audubon® branded trees and plants are grown 100% Neonic-free by Bower & Branch, making these trees safer for the birds and safer for the environment
- The National Audubon Society protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow
- Hand Selected, Fresh from the Grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years
- Hardiness Zone: 4-8
- Mature Height: 70' tall
- Mature Width: 60' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Spacing: 50-60' apart
Why plant Audubon® Native Northern Red Oak - USDA Organic?
The mighty Scarlet Oak. Though few garden centers carry it, this is one of the most spectacular Oak Trees you can grow, and it isn’t hard to please. Plant it as a street tree, as a single specimen in a large lawn, or use it to line your driveway or property border in the country. In time, it will stand tall and proud in your landscape, lifting its strong limbs high above the ground. This long-lived tree will stand for generations as a precious gift to future shade seekers and as an emblem of your own lasting legacy. But don’t think that only your grandchildren will enjoy it! The aptly named Scarlet Oak has some of the most brilliant red fall color of all the Oaks, and it will delight you every year.
You don’t hear much about it. It has to take a backseat to White Oak, Red Oak, and Pin Oak, but Scarlet Oak is a magnificent tree, too. Native to the U.S., it’s common in sandy or rocky soil in the South and is found in smaller populations as far north as Minnesota and Maine. Its fondness for these tough conditions means it is supremely adapted to drought in the landscape. Scarlet Oak in the wild is a boon for wildlife. The acorns are bitter but nutritious and are food for blue jays, woodpeckers, squirrels, and deer. The foliage feeds a wide array of tiny insects, which in turn feed many species of songbirds.
How to use Audubon® Native Northern Red Oak - USDA Organic in the landscape?
How big does Scarlet Oak get? The national champion, in Mercer, New Jersey, tops out at 128 feet in height by 122 feet in spread. It has a trunk over 5 feet thick. Most Scarlet Oaks will only ever get about half that size.
Why Bower & Branch?
At Bower & Branch, it’s our job to know and grow trees… especially big trees.
- Trusted, Experienced Growers
- Trusted, Knowledgeable Expertise
- Trusted Brand of Quality Trees Across the United States
We do the hard part. Our trees and plants are grown and cared for by only the best, local growers for years before they find their forever home in your landscape. Bower & Branch is known for having hard-to-find, substantial sizes and selection. The quality of our trees and plants are consistent in health and vigor—always ready for immediate impact in your garden and instant curb appeal. We never rush our trees to reach a ‘grade size.’ Our trees are grown for quality height, vigor, health and age.
We believe in empowering homeowners with the truth about strong, healthy and structurally sound plants that are grown to perform in the ground after they leave the nursery for home delivery, always fresh inventory from the grower.
Audubon® Plants for Birds Program
Audubon is devoted to protecting birds and the places they need, while Bower & Branch is devoted to the growth of true native trees and plants–no cultivars or hybrids. Together, we strive to unite communities in conservation and inspire individuals to cultivate a better world for birds starting in their own backyards, balconies, or patios. By guiding and recommending trees and plants truly native and beneficial to your region, we can really start to make a difference.
What is the definition of Native?
“In the United States, a native plant is defined as one that was naturally found in a particular area before European colonization. Native plants are the foundation of a region’s biodiversity, providing essential food sources and shelter for birds, especially those threatened by the changing climate. Since native plants are adapted to local precipitation and soil conditions, they generally require less upkeep, therefore helping the environment and saving you time, water, and money.” – The National Audubon Society
Learn how you can help birds in your home and community through Audubon’s Plants for Birds program.
Audubon® is a licensed and registered trademark of the National Audubon Society. All rights reserved.
What does it mean to be USDA Organically grown?
- USDA Organic crops are grown exclusively on land that has gone without having non-USDA Organic approved substances applied for three years.
- No pesticides for us, please! Organically grown crops are highly regulated on what can and cannot be used for pest control—worried about harsh chemicals that have been sprayed on your plant? There is only a small number of approved synthetic chemicals that are allowed to be used. Otherwise, farmers use strict biological, mechanical, and physical management practices.
- Not just any type of seeds are used to grow and harvest organic plants: farmers can only use organic seeds or organically raised seedlings in their organic fields.
- Only the best handling is allowed! Organic and non-organic crops are not allowed to be commingled or near each other. Cross-contamination can occur, botching the organic plant's purity due to non-organic substances that could have been sprayed on non-organic harvests; this would cause the organic plant to be considered compromised.
- Fields are carefully cultivated through crop rotation and proper tillage practices to ensure that the soil and the soil's nutrients are kept at a happy balance. Animal manure, not sludge, is allowed to help infuse the soil with nitrogen to support the growth of the organic crops.
How To Plant Audubon® Native Northern Red Oak - USDA Organic
Plant Scarlet Oak in a sunny area with lots of elbow room. The soil should be well drained and on the acidic side, thought this tree is not as demanding of acidic soil as the closely related Pin Oak. Irrigate with the Bower & Branch Elements™ Watering System during the first couple of years of establishment in the landscape; after that your tree should be able to get by on what falls from the sky, barring a very severe drought. No major pests or diseases affect Scarlet Oak except for Oak wilt. Because of this destructive fungal disease, never prune your Scarlet Oak when it is actively growing. Prune only during dormancy, from November through February.
How To Water
Oak Trees will appreciate watering deeply, and regularly during its first few years in the ground. Irrigate weekly, and especially during long dry spells or extreme heat after it’s established.
How To Fertilize
Incorporate Elements Starter Plant food granular form into the soil when planting. If planting in spring or summer, start fertilizing late fall using Elements Starter Plant food granular form on an annual basis each late fall. Continue this for the first three years to get your plant well established.
How To Prune
Northern Red Oak does not require pruning!
Hardiness Zone: 4-8
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our large trees require expert delivery and care, that means our large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to your driveway or curbside! Ask Bower & Branch about planting services and rates – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees, Size XL (A) and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks days to be delivered. - Sizes large (AA) and smaller (Treelings) will be shipped directly to your home by a local common carrier in a plant-safe box.
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health.. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large (A) and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).