- In mid-spring, bright red buds open to fragrant blooms of reddish-pink
- Early spring welcomes copper to bronze foliage that matures to a deep green before evolving into a stunning orange come fall
- Shinny red berries appear in fall providing winter interest and a delectable treat for songbirds
- Red Barron loves the company of pollinators during spring such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds
- Narrow and upright growth habit allows it to fit in tight spots
- Best when planted as a specimen to be admired, in pollinator gardens or smaller landscapes
- Hand selected fresh from our grower
- Ships on our trucks because of the size of the tree - does not fit in a box
- Hardiness Zone: 4-8
- Mature Height: 15-20' tall
- Mature Width: 6-8' wide
- Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Spacing: 8-10' apart
Why plant Red Barron Flowering Crabapple?
Red Barron Crabapple is a small flowering ornamental tree for your patio or garden with an appealing round shape that you will want to keep close. This tree is small but offers pretty shade and low branches that are easy to climb for small children. A nice addition to a wildlife garden, Red Barron Crabapple has long lasting showy red flowers in spring enjoyed by honeybees and red fruit in late summer that is quickly removed by visiting birds. Red Barron Crabapple makes a dramatic statement planted in groves or when planted in a row to line your property or driveway.
Did you know that Johnny Appleseed was not a seller of apple trees, but crabapple trees? Because if you plant an apple seed, you will almost surely not get a tree that yields big, juicy apples, but one that produces small, sour ones—crabapples. Named varieties of both apples and crabapples are propagated by “budding,” a type of grafting—not by seed. Red Barron is a tree that originated at Harvard University’s Arnold Arboretum. It was introduced by the late Bob Simpson of Vincennes, Indiana, of Winter King Hawthorn fame.
Hardiness Zone: 4-8
How To Plant Red Barron Flowering Crabapple
Crabapples are easy to grow, but do have some disease issues. Fireblight is the most serious problem, entering the tree through the open flowers when conditions are right. Branches will turn black, and the whole tree may die. Red Barron has good resistance to fireblight and fair to excellent resistance to the more cosmetic diseases that sometimes affect crabs. Plant this tree in a sunny spot in any kind of soil—even clay. Keep string trimmers and mowers away from the trunk, as its bark is thin and easily damaged.
How Does Shipping Work?
Bower & Branch Trees, the real BIG trees, don’t fit in a box! Our big trees, sizes XL and bigger, require expert delivery and care, that means our extra-large trees are shipped on Bower & Branch trucks. We are the only ones who know how to ship our big and bigger trees and plants with tender loving care.
We deliver your trees and plants directly to you. Ask Bower & Branch about planting services – we'd be happy to assist in installation.
*Big trees and shrubs, Size XL and bigger, will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered.
Your trees and plants are grown across the United States at various Bower & Branch Growers. Depending on your location, your plant orders may be shipped from various locations.
Please expect orders with multiple items to be delivered over a number of days as a result. Orders made up of numerous items or selections will not arrive at your home on the same day.
From time to time, Bower & Branch Growers may determine to delay order shipment based on various factors for plant health.
Weather in your region, as well as, where your plants are grown, is always considered when shipping. Extreme weather conditions may delay some or all of your order.
Bower & Branch allows our Growers to make final shipping decisions based solely to benefit your trees and plants’ health and success.
Bower & Branch Plant Whisperers - Online Customer Service
The Bower & Branch customer service team WILL surprise you with experience. The Plant Whisperer Team is available to all of our customers for all reasons: shipping updates, special requests, plant care, design, placement, selection and all your other gardening needs!
Our Service Team is directly connected to the best growers (ours!) across the country and have access to more plant experience and knowledge than any other retailer out there; online or in your neighborhood. Chat with a Plant Whisperer today!
PlantWhisperers@bowerandbranch.com | (866) 873-3888 | Chat below!
How Does Sizing Work?
The size of our trees have nothing to do with the container size like you may find elsewhere–big doesn't mean just height - it’s also vigor, age, and overall health. Other online retailers are going to tell you that a plant is a seven gallon, that means nothing to your tree or plant (or you.)
Our trees for sale online are graded on large, x-large, and even bigger sizes. This is because our trees are sized by their age—the higher the letter, the more mature the tree. The age determines the trees’ overall height, size of the trunk and the overall branch density.
All of these characteristics are what you should be looking for when choosing a tree for immediate impact and instant curb appeal. Our extra-large tree and plant sizes are sure to wow you and your neighbors!
See the size guides below.
90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:
Bower & Branch guarantees customer satisfaction within all product groups and sizes. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product or experience, you have 90 days from the original date of purchase to request a replacement of the purchased product(s).
Reach out to a Plant Whisperer:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-873-3888
- Or via Online Chat
Bower & Branch offers a Three-Year Tree Guarantee on all of our trees, sizes X-Large and up. Only the finest and the most experienced growers are awarded the opportunity to grow for Bower & Branch, so we offer the best guarantee available.
If your tree(s) should fail for any reason during the three-year guarantee period, you will receive an online gift card in the amount that you originally spent on the tree.* You can then use this online gift card for any Bower & Branch Purchase.
* Bower & Branch provides online gift cards in the amount of the original purchase price of the tree(s). The amount does not include any additional costs such as delivery, planting, tax, or any other products or services. Online gift cards can be applied towards any Bower & Branch purchase on BowerandBranch.com and have no expiration dates. Bower & Branch does not guarantee tree replacement or availability of any desired product at any time. Cash refunds are not offered. Bower & Branch requires that all original tags and receipts are present when a guarantee request is initiated. The Bower & Branch Three-Year Guarantee only applies to plant material that has been planted in the ground. Container plantings are NOT covered.
At Bower & Branch, we do our best to honor all guarantee fulfillment requests to ensure customer satisfaction. However, we reserve the right to refuse the request if the required guarantee steps were not satisfied. Bower & Branch also reserves the right to deny any guarantee fulfillment request that is made as a result of animal damage, problems with plant hardiness and zone issues, or acts of nature (snow storms, hurricanes, and similar).